Friday, October 9, 2009

Stick #23 - Final Thoughts

I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in the 23 Things on a Stick. The hands-on approach is the best way for me to learn new skills. It isn't an issue of being scared to tackle new things, but when I execute the new skills, I am more likely to remember them and I can better understand how they work. I know an additional program with more Things has been implemented and I will plan to go back to it after school settles down.



When I began this assignment, I really didn't want to blog, but I have found it to be helpful. Writing crystalizes my thinking and I have had an opportunity to consider how these Things may apply to my non-library work environment in healthcare.



What I have gained from this experience are new skills and new ideas for how to work smarter and more effectively personally and with my work group. I know where there are the tools to teach others how to do these Things. I have become more comfortable embedding different objects into different software. I am surprised how many sites are free, but I will never be able to keep up with all the passwords. I also believe email is quite outdated after experiencing some of these Web tools.

I have multiple favorites. I loved creating an avatar and the online games are a very interesting concept I hope to be able to do something with. I wanted to learn about Podcasts, RSS feeds and Wikis, and all of them are relevant to my work. I was delighted to learn about Slideshare, Del.icio.us and the online productivity tools that were new to me.

If I had to describe my experience in one word, it would be "mind-expanding". I'm really glad we had this assignment!

No comments:

Post a Comment